CentOS is a stable Linux distribution derived from the sources of the popular RedHat Enterprise Linux.
The CSL only has a few servers running on CentOS; namely, The Cluster. The rest run on Ubuntu Server.
- Slightly higher stability than Ubuntu
- Has a different package manager (
- Slightly smaller package ecosystem, made up for by large 3rd party repositories.
- A lot of backported packages including the kernel
- All of the system configuration and log files are named slightly differently than Ubuntu, making things slightly annoying.
- CentOS actually beats out Ubuntu in how old its Python is; there is no Python 3, only Python 2.7.5 in the official repository!
- You can pry my CentOS-specific Ansible plays from my cold, graduated hands.